Sunday, June 29, 2008

Vigilance

One of the common but serious mistake that I'm seeing more and more as of late is that I'm not vigilant about protecting myself from the pitfall of sins and temptations, and primarily in the issue of pride. For example, in my workplace where I see so many patients a day, I can easily become so self-dependent on my ability to treat through all that knowledge that I have, and training that I received from school and such. But when I face a difficult patient and when my knowledge base becomes a shriveled prune, I become frustrated and more prideful.

So how does that related to being a vigilant person? For one, because I'm so prone to be self-righteous and my sinful nature loves to boast in myself, even in good things in life that God bestows in us such as my ability to work can certainly become a place to breed my pride. So I would have to approach work with the expectations that WHEN I WILL be tempted to self-justify, I would need to preach the Gospel to myself.

By definition, vigilant means being "alertly watchful especially to avoid danger." (according m-w.com). That means one would have to expect that there WILL be danger, and not foolishly thinking that everything is alright just because you had a good quiet time or was inspired through a good book reading and such. While those things could definitely affect the person to grow, it would be foolish to think that rest of day is "a piece of cake" because of one had done those things that I mentioned.

So how does one become Biblically vigilant? I'm still finding out. But I do know this. It must start from God. I cannot will myself into thinking that I can change or grow in maturity simply by working harder. If not careful, it could become self-righteousness. But a great way to start is to survey the Cross. Look at what Christ has done for you and I on the Cross. Our sins have caused Him to bear the Holy and Rightful wrath of God. There we see that our sins were So great and so horrific that it took Christ, perfect Son of God to be crucified.

But it does not stop there. We must continue in storing up His Word (and I believe Jerry Bridges have already shared with us regarding how he prepares himself everyday in preaching the Gospel).

Some other practical applications for all of us. (no specific order of importance)

1) Memorize and dwell and meditate the Word of God throughout the day.
2) Pray throughout the day. It's ironic because I tell my patients to do certain exercises for better posture and such, throughout the day! Yet the same application is true for being a vigilant person. Asking God to write His Word in our hearts.
3) Share it with others with intention of encouragement in the Gospel!

I'm sure there are other ways, but Ephesians 6:10-20 is clear about the need for vigilance:


10Finally,(M) be strong in the Lord and in(N) the strength of his might. 11(O) Put on(P) the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against(Q) the schemes of the devil. 12For(R) we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against(S) the rulers, against the authorities, against(T) the cosmic powers over(U) this present darkness, against(V) the spiritual forces of evil(W) in the heavenly places. 13Therefore(X) take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in(Y) the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14Stand therefore,(Z) having fastened on the belt of truth, and(AA) having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15and,(AB) as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16In all circumstances take up(AC) the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all(AD) the flaming darts of(AE) the evil one; 17and take(AF) the helmet of salvation, and(AG) the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18praying(AH) at all times(AI) in the Spirit,(AJ) with all prayer and supplication. To that end(AK) keep alert with all perseverance, making(AL) supplication for all the saints, 19and(AM) also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth(AN) boldly to proclaim(AO) the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I(AP) am an ambassador(AQ) in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak."


Have a great day in the Lord!



1 comment:

Hamster said...

Thanks for sharing these insights, Sam! They are a helpful reminder indeed, esp. in my own battle against pride and self-righteousness. It is constant! How Romans 7:22-24 is a great reminder of the hope we have in Christ because of the Gospel when fighting against sin!

22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.